Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

W208 cab roof not working. windows drop on release of front

w208 cab roof not working. windows drop on release of front catch, fuses ok. No noise at all from pump, not even a click
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: No noise as in nothing
JA: What year is your Cab?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just bought it at auction. rear of roof was not fully locked and trunk would not open with anything. roll bar was not down and when lowered roof locked and trunk now opens. Checked fuses so far
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The most common cause for this fault here is a faulty micro switch.Your roof system uses several micro switches that send signals on what position the windows are in, the roof bow points are in and latches as well as the roll bar.Usually one of these switches fails to send the proper signal and keeps the roof from operating.Since there are several of these switches it is difficult to say from here for sure which is at fault to replace.

What has to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool or computer that will plug in and can read all computers in your model.Once this is done any codes set then need diagnosed to help locate and repair this fault.The scan tool is also used to monitor each position switch to locate the faulty switch needing replaced.

You will have at least one code set in the roof computer with this issue here that will need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Pete, i was hoping to avoid the expense of getting a star diag check if it can be something i can do myself. A trained tech from many years back so can and do have a go. I have no click from the relay and fuses are all good. Windows drop on release of front lock and then nothing. Could the roof relay be a direction to try (same as fuel pump) so no expense to try?

Is the control switch for the roof operation flashing at all or any warning lights/messages coming up when trying to operate the roof?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hi Pete, flashing when i use yes. Not fast flash though. No messages as to old. 2001 W208

O.k.,the flashing can indicate there is a code set as a fault is detected.It is best to have the codes checked if you can get this done as this will help allot here.

It is very possible the control relay can be faulty.It may not be clicking due to an internal fault with it.But in some cases it may not be clicking as the control unit may not be operating it due to a fault detected.You can definitely try the relay to see if it will work but if it does not then you will need to have the codes read out to help locate the issue here since there are so many different components that can act up or fail causing this issue especially a faulty micro switch.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete