Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 2005 E500 need to adjust low beam lights, is it the…

Customer Question
Have a 2005 E500...

Have a 2005 E500 need to adjust low beam lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Mercedes-Benz E500. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Is it the upper adjustment screw or lower

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/19/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 8 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

the adjustment you want for vertical is the higher adjustment. you will find 3 total, a vertical for the high beam, for the low beam, and a third for the horizontal of each.

hope this helps.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

I can only find two looking down where is the 3rd?
The 3rd is under a cover , if you look you will see a clip that has like groves in it to slide it back . I will try and send a picture

Take the picture from higher up .

No that's not it that connects to the high beam vertical I need low beam that piece does not move
they hole on the left which is part of that cover you circled is the high beam vertical the hole on the right of that is the left to right adjustment, cant find the low beam vertical?

ok so when you adjusted either of the other ones, did the lights move any direction?

its possible that the link inside the housing came loose.

both screw adjustments move the lights looking at the headlight from above the adjustment on the right movers the light left to right the adjustment screw on the left moves the high beam up and down cant find the screw for the low beam up and down. that is what i need.

ok i know i know, sorry this is so complicated lol, i have done this so many times it and dont have a e class here in the shop .

give me a few min.

ohhh you know what, give me your vin please.

if you have the self leveling headlights you will not have an adjustment. it should have only been for the non self leveling headlights.

if you give me your vin I can check the options list.

never mind getting nowhere

hold on lol, here check this, if you have this hanging out of the backside of the headlight housing.

ok here was the disconnect between us.

you have the self leveling headlights. the last document I sent you shows the adjustment motor. sometimes the motor fails and or the light assembly comes loose from the hold down. you have the self leveling headlights and there is no adjustment. the motor is bad or the internals came loose from the housing.

here I circled the motor in your picture . sorry you are frustrated. I know what I am talking about we were just on the wrong page with the headlight. my mistake.

hope this helps.

Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

the system uses the level sensors for the suspension to adjust the headlights. there is never a need for vertical adjustment but there is a need for horizontal, that is why you are missing the one adjustment .

is this something the dealer has to do the light are not adjusting then they are too low??

correct. dealer scan tool can adjust it.

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician