Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

What is the spark plug gap for a 79 450SL, I put in all new

What is the spark plug gap for a 79 450SL
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Mercedes. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: I put in all new injectors and sleeves plus rebuilt the fuel distribution block and now it won`t fire.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

IS your the 4.5 engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Okay thank yo for that, the correct gap on your 4.5 spark plugs is .032.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What about the other question?

Im sorry I did not see the other question, when you say it will not fire do you mean it will crank but not start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It won`t fire.

Okay so your saying you have no spark at the spark plugs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Don`t know that. It was running before the change of parts.

Okay then that would be the next thing to check, pull a spark plug wire and hold it a 1/2 inch away from a good engine ground and crank the engine over and see if you are getting a nice blue spark out of it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the car had the battery out for about a week then replaced it with a new battery. I will check for a spark now

Okay please do, having the battery out and replacing it should not effect starting.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its getting a good spark. When the plug was out and cranking the engine over gas was squirting out.

Squirting out like the engine is over fueling?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Don`t know what`s normal for fuel injection motor. Every cycle gas came out onto the exhaust shield.

You can check the pressure at the fuel distributor with gauge teed in line or at cold start injector. See the steps in the link below. That would be the place to start.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1nb5y51b2dyz1s/fuel%20distributor%20Sep%2018.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can`t test it myself now, don`t have the equipment. Thanks Walt.