Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Second opinion] On a 2003 E500 parked in garage normally.

Customer Question
Second opinion] On a...

Second opinion] On a 2003 E500 parked in garage normally. Next day everything was shut down. Had to open the trunk with blade key. No interior lights at all. Ignition key would not turn. Roadside service jumped the car using the main battery in the trunk. Rode around for about 20 minutes to presumably recharge. After 2 days went to try it again and once more same result as before. Tried charging the battery with a Battery Tender device and after 2 days gave up. Voltage while hooked up was 3.78 volts. Voltage with battery Tender disconnected was 3.44 volts. Hope you can help.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Yes, but so far nothing relevant found. For multiple years when first turned on I would occasionally get the message "...Electrical consumers switched off". This would disappear as I began driving.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Beyond using the Battery Tender I haven't tried. New batteries were installed about 18 months ago when the car had about 70,000 miles on it. It now has 92,000 miles. My normal mechanic is tied up for a while and the nearest dealer is about 65 miles away. Due to age and recent surgery, I am limited physically with I can try.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/18/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 11 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

What needs to happen is you need to do whats called a "quiescent draw test" do you know what this is and are you going to attempt to fix yourself? This requires extensive knowledge with automotive electronics. So let me know your capabilities and I'll be able to advise on the best course of action. seeing as how you mentioned a mechanic I can assume you wont be doing the work yourself,

but the issue will be one of two causes

1- alternator is no good

2- battery is no good or there is an excessive draw on the car that is killing the battery

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified