Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 1989 slk230 and the radiator fan is not working. i…

Customer Question
I have 1989 slk230...

I have 1989 slk230 and the radiator fan is not working. i have replaced the fan and control module and it is still not going on when it should?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the car been overheating? Have you checked the fuses?

Only once

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SLK230 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i checked the fuse and they appeared in good working order

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, and was at the local dealer and they could not solve the issue

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/18/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 9 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

where did you get the new fan and control module from?

assuming the control module you are speaking of is the one bolted to the fender well?

from the local dealer, and yes it is the module on the fender wall

ok, so can you give me the build date on the drivers door sticker?

also what problems are you having that led you to the fan and module?

12/96
vin# *****

on the control module check for power on the following wires with the key on

• pink with red stripe
  • black with green stripe
to answer your question the fan was not turning on when the car was hot. I decided to replace the fan and module due to the cars mileage [100k] and the ease of replacement

ok gotcha, did the temp ever get above 100?

the fan is mainly to come on for the ac, when the engine is running and the ac is on high the fan should come on.

when do you think you will be able to check those wires for power?

i checked the power wire and they have power
also when I turn the fan on inside the car. the coolant light comes on? any idea why?

yes, could be because of a issue with the fan module.

also the washer and coolant low switches are tied together.

so check your washer fluid too lol.

next we need to check signal from the engine module.

ok

im double checking the wiring.

the windshield washer tank does have a leak and I need to replace it?

grey wire should have ground . when engine running and ac on high, fan should come on and ground voltage at that wire should be

ECT < 70 °C 1-1.9 VDC fan not running
A/C on 2-4 VDC fan running
ECT > 85 °C 2.5 -12.5 VDC fan running

ect means engine coolant temperature.

let me know if you get any type of voltage.

Lou