Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Bad fuel leak near fuel tank, No just leaking badly through…

Customer Question
Bad fuel leak near...

Bad fuel leak near fuel tank

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?

No just leaking badly through a hole in the floor

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

CLK320 2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CLK320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No it is booked in for repair on Tuesday and all I am trying to do is estimate more or less how much work will be involved

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I took it to one garage and they said it would be a major job to get access to do the repair

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/17/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 9 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** the leak happens to be coming from the fuel tank itself it will be about a 10 hour operation to remove and replace the tank. It would be very very unusual for the tank to be leaking however. More than likely the leak is from the fuel pump or one of the hoses or possibly from the fuel level sender. These repairs would be far less expensive.

You should first make sure that the fuel cap is fitted properly. If the cap is not fitted properly fuel will leak out the filler neck and run down to the floor.

A fuel pump replacement is approximately $450. A hose repair would typically be in the $150 range.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I have been under the car and the mechanic shone a torch into the hole, you can see three hoses two flexible and one steel with a coupling but there is no room to check if they are loose or worn or damaged in any way

It sounds like you are looking into the area of the fuel pump.