Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1998 sl 500. soft top will not lock in front latches. I CAN…

Customer Question
1998 sl 500. soft...

1998 sl 500. soft top will not lock in front latches. I CAN MANUALLY LOCK THEM AFTER TURNING KEY OFF. then rear of top will not go down in rear to the locks

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Park with emergency brake on. don,t know about wheel lock

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing myself. have rebuilt all eleven cylinders. hydraulic oil is full

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can lock front locks manually only after turning key off and hearing a loud click in right rear.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/17/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This issue here may be due to a faulty roof position sensor/switch.Your model uses several of these switches and if one or more is sending a false signal or no signal at all this can occur.

What needs to be done here is to have the fault codes checked in all computers to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault here.The scan tool is also used to monitor the switch/sensor signals to locate one that is sending a false signal needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete