Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Sunroof won't close! Live at the beach, thinking I need to…

Customer Question
sunroof won't close!...

sunroof won't close! Live at the beach, thinking I need to lubricate the rails somehow! any answers

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2003 -- 230 Compressor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried WD-40 -- no results -- roof opens normal - but does not close completely -- with out me pushing it closed -- sounds like a clutch slipping -- chatter when i try to close

Mechanic's Assistant: This is potentially serious. How long has it been going on?

Just started !

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/16/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, with the chatter, it is likely that the motor gears are worn and failing and will need to be replaced, but first, try the synchronization procedure

Performing synchronization
Open the pop-up roof with the roof system switch (N70s1) until the mechanical stop is reached and continue to actuate the roof system switch (N70s1). The overhead control panel control module (N70) continues to actuate the roof system motor (M12m1) and sets the position counter to zero when it has recognized that the roof system motor(M12m1)has been locked up for at least t=0.5 s.
Before reaching the lock-up position, at least 3 edges must have been recognized from Hall sensor 1 (M12b1) and Hall sensor 2 (M12b2)

It is not possible to synchronize the sliding/pop-up roof with the "Convenience opening, convenience closing" and "Automatic opening/closing" features, because these functions are not possible in the desynchronized state.

The sliding/pop-up roof is then in the synchronized state, i.e. the overhead control panel control module (N70) can switch off the roof motor system (M12m1) when the sliding/pop-up roof is being opened/closed in the automatic mode before reaching the mechanical stop.

If this does not work, then you will need to replace the motor - if you want directions for that, let me know

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

HI,

Did you need or want directions to replace the motor assembly

No not a motor problem! The roof move is too resistive -- when I push the roof it move forward with the power on - switch forward - roof binding!

HI,

Ok, this means an issue most likely in either the tracking or the cables binding. In both cases the sunroof is going to need to be removed which will involve removing the headliner. This is around a 6-7 hour job due to all the trim that comes off before the headliner can come out

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager