Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Fuel gauge shows empty most of the time. However, it

Customer Question
Fuel gauge shows empty...

Fuel gauge shows empty most of the time. However, it sometime shows 3/4 or or less. Is there a float in the tank that be sticking ? Car is mercedes 320 clk. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No,gas mileage as usual. No trouble starting .

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2001 320 clk.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is it an easy fix?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 11 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Yes, there are actually a couple of possibilities. The sending unit in the fuel tank and the gauge itself in the instrument cluster. Much of this can also be tested with a scan tool and many parts stores loan out this toll for just a deposit.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Do you have any more questions for me in chat at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

If the problem is in the fuel sending mechanism , will the tank have to be pulled ? also, problem in intrument panel , is it as simple as replacing a fuse ?

If it's in the tank, the tank has to come down.

If it's the gauge, the cluster has to come out.

The test will show which is the problem.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me