Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I Have a problem with my 2002 SLK 230. The power seats

Customer Question
Good Morning Mechanic's Assistant:...

Good Morning

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

I Have a problem with my 2002 SLK 230. The power seats either both work or both don't. My way of thinking is that there must be some common wiring or poor grounding causing this problem. Can you tell me where i might find this problem so i can resolve this issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Fuses check good,don't have a wiring diagram.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Mercedes?

SLK 230

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing the vehicle myself. Ive looked for poor grounding

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's all.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 8 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

It's usually a ground problem, or the computer that controls the seats.

I would test the computer system in bidirectional mode so you can test for both of these issues.

Many parts stores loan out scan tools for just a deposit too.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Thanks Ron! I will check the computer system and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, perhaps I can help. There is no computer for the seats on this car. Your problem is more than likely a bad K24 relay that powers the seats. The relay is located under the dash next to the steering column on the left side. Fuse 21 and 22 power the seats. If you find it there is no voltage to those two fuses when the seats do not work your problem will be a faulty K24 relay. There is no need for a scan tool for this problem. Please reply back to me if you need further assistance.

The module I saw was for the seat heater and not the seat function, my apologies for that error. let me know what else you may need from me.

Thanks again, Ron

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.

Hi David, just checking in. Did you get this sorted out?

Marty

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician