Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Marty< I have a 2000 S500 that the right read door will not

Customer Question
Good day Marty< I have...
Good day Marty< I have a 2000 S500 that the right read door will not open. The lock moves up and down, but you cant open from inside or outside the car.
JA: Are you fixing your S500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to attempt myself. I need some guidance on what to do
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 day by:
9/16/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The most likely cause for the door not opening would be a failure of the latch itself. If something foreign was closed in the door, there is damage to the door or body or the striker is not adjusted correctly these will all make it hard to open the door again, but these issues would have been apparent and I'm assuming are not the case.

If the door handles move with normal resistance that indicates the linkage from them to the latch is intact.

What will need to be done is remove the door panel to inspect and ensure there isn't a linkage issue. If ok, nothing foreign was closed in the door and there is no physical damage then the latch will need to be broken/cut/dismantled until the pawl can be reached to move it manually and open the door, then replace the latch.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician