Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It won't start. Turn the key, dash lights, engine nothing.

Customer Question
It won't start. Turn...

It won't start. Turn the key, dash lights, engine nothing. Tried jumping to no avail.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Not checked the fuses. Someone who claims to be a Mercedes mechanic told me he was almost positive that it was a solenoid problem, but I didn't catch which solenoid he said.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

1986 560 SL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Only tried to jump start it assuming a battery problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car was sitting for about 3 weeks since the last time it was driven.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/14/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 11 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Hello, the mechanic most likely said starter solenoid. its very possible the starter has failed.

the starter solenoid has 2 wires to it, 1 wire is the battery cable, the other smaller wire is the solenoid activation wire that should get battery positive voltage when the ignition is cranked. the mechanic will need to test for power at this wire when cranking, if it has power that means that the starter is bad.

hope this helps

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful , rating is just as important to me as your issue is to you. Please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

I have taken my time to answer your question the best I could and I will continue to help if you need follow up information , all I ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so I may receive my credit for assisting you, Thank you.
Lou Palomino
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech