Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

My 2002 MB SLK 320 would not start yesterday. It gave me

Customer Question

My 2002 MB SLK 320 would not start yesterday. It gave me this message "errror start" in the odometer wndow. I disconnected the battery and was able to start it but I don't know why I received that message or how to avoid a recurrance
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: They are not corroded, look very good
JA: What is the model of your '02 Mercedes?
Customer: SLK 320 , 170
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've read the manual and I can find the error message but it doesn't offer a fix
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. How can I delete the "service soon" icon?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

so the "start error" message will come on when there is a problem with the immobilizer system, it can be the

ignition key

ignition cylinder transponder coil

das control module

engine control module

the best test is to have a second key, after that the silver ring around the ignition switch is most likely the cause.

I will get you info on how the system works but without a second key it is near impossible to test without replacing parts or getting codes checked with a mercedes scan tool.

Lou

Here you go, here is some info, if you would like more i would have to do a email offer to send it all to you.

thanks, ***** ***** helps

also in order to get the service soon message, assuming its the check engine light?

you would need a code scanner to get the codes read and erased.

if the maintenance light is on where it shows 2 or 1 wrench and a past due mileage or date let me know and i can tell you how to reset it,

Lou