Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2002 MB SLK 320 would not start yesterday. It gave me…

Customer Question
My 2002 MB SLK...

My 2002 MB SLK 320 would not start yesterday. It gave me this message "errror start" in the odometer wndow. I disconnected the battery and was able to start it but I don't know why I received that message or how to avoid a recurrance

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They are not corroded, look very good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Mercedes?

SLK 320 , 170

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've read the manual and I can find the error message but it doesn't offer a fix

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. How can I delete the "service soon" icon?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/14/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 11 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

so the "start error" message will come on when there is a problem with the immobilizer system, it can be the

ignition key

ignition cylinder transponder coil

das control module

engine control module

the best test is to have a second key, after that the silver ring around the ignition switch is most likely the cause.

I will get you info on how the system works but without a second key it is near impossible to test without replacing parts or getting codes checked with a mercedes scan tool.

Lou

Here you go, here is some info, if you would like more i would have to do a email offer to send it all to you.

thanks, ***** ***** helps

also in order to get the service soon message, assuming its the check engine light?

you would need a code scanner to get the codes read and erased.

if the maintenance light is on where it shows 2 or 1 wrench and a past due mileage or date let me know and i can tell you how to reset it,

Lou