Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

03 G500 will not engage in any gear (R or D) after I

Customer Question

03 G500 will not engage in any gear (R or D) after I replaced the conductor plate
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: no have not checked the brake switch
JA: Are you fixing your G500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i had the torque converter stuck in neutral after the conductor place swap as well. that took a while to fix now that the trany is back in high mode it wont enage
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am doing all the work myself
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you checked for any fault codes set at all with this issue here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i had p0743 for TC stuck in netural
cleared that
no the trany is back in H
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the tranny worked perfect before the fluid and conductor change
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

When the conductor was replaced were all solenoids placed back into their proper positions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
could atf in solenoids cause them to go bad?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the solenoid were triple checked for accuracy ..all are where they belong
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i super cleaned the 13 pin connector. mad sure it all made contact.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am an MBII scanner. cleared all the codes.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it just wont engage. my problem started with torque converter being stuck in neutral. that took a couple of days to fix. now that is is back in H the tranny will not engage. i never had any sings of the trany dying.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

ATF can get into the solenoids and solenoid connectors and still operate properly.I have seen several that had ATF in the connections.They should be dry in the connection but I have seen them operate with fluid in the connector and usually a code would set again if there was a solenoid fault.

I suspect since it is all put back to the way it should be and this issue was not present until the plate was replaced and you know there are no bent pins in the plate connector that the plate itself was faulty out of the box.I have seen some of these faulty out of the box causing this issue here.Also you want to make sure you got the right one installed as an incorrect part number can cause issues as well.

The valve body will need removed and solenoids to check for any blockages in the solenoid ports or screens and inspect the plate for any issues.On some models there is a small tube that connects between the valve body and the transmission when reinstalled ( this I believe is the newer models but this needs checked) and if this tube did not get seated properly you will not have fluid pressure and causes this issue.

If all of this is o.k. then I would replace the plate again under parts warranty.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this is the second plate i have replaced to fix this issue. both Mb parts. correct numbers.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
its not the plate. something else electrical
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.

Does it make any weird noises when in gear and revved up?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it did make a grinding noise once and i turned the engine off right away. this was while the TC was stuck in natural and i tried to put it in gear.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this happened before i replaced the 2nd plate.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there was a gear on gear grinding noise.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,unfortunately this is a tough question for me to be able to answer myself.I will have to see if anyone else here can assist further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 month ago.

Hello , Lou here.

can you tell me why you replaced the conductor plate in the first place?

also, when you turn the key on, shift the shifter through all the positions, does the dash recognize the positions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello Lou,
replaced the plate just as maintenance.
The dash does recognize all the positions r,d,n etc

ok, good deal, so can you move the G with the shifter in park? and when you take it out of park can you move the G?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the vehicle does move or engage in gear at all
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have not tried moving it myself to see if the wheels are locked

ok please rephrase the last messages, i dont want the engine running, i am more concerned if we can move the car in park and not in park to verify the linkage is correct both outside and inside the trans.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok i am not by the vehicle right now. i will try that when i get home.
anything else you recommend trying. what should be my next steps in the vehicle moves or doesn't move?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have not tried moving the car at all. running or not. i don't know it if moves in P or D or N by physical/human force

ok so when the valve body came down there is a rod with a somewhat hook at the end, that is what the gear selector arm hooks into , i am thinking that when the valve body came down and went back up the arm was not put back into place?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i made sure the arm hooked. i double checked. so i can tell you that the arm is attached
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i guess if the car moves in P that means the arm is not hooked properly? is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
unless i broke it. It is a plastic hook after all. I did use some force to move the gear after the plate install. it felt a bit stuck.

ok, well, the arm inside the trans is only to tell the computer what gear its in, i was more curious about the shifter linkage and the grinding noise you heard. that is why i want to confirm Park works correctly.

how much fluid did you fill?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
6liters out 6 in
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what could the grinding noise be from? the TC? the noise happened before i took the plate out.

ok, now you are giving me conflicting stories, you stated you only changed the plate for maintenance ,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
for maintenance. there was nothing wrong with the tranny. i replaced it twice. the first time i replaced it the TC went in to neutral position. and was stuck there. so i thought the plate was defective. and replaced it the second time.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my initial ATF flush and plate replacement was for purely maintenance purposes. the car drove fine. after i replaced the plate i got two problems. 1. TC stuck in neutral. that got fixed it is back in H. 2. the tranny will not engage.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do u recommend replacing the solenoids could i have damage them while cleaning. I used carb cleaner to clean the solenoids?

is there a check engine light on currently? and also what did you do to fix the transfer case stuck in neutral problem?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lou went home and checked the car. it does not move in P.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
for the transfer case i used my scanner to erase the ECU and TSU codes.
i had code P0743
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no check engine code on

ok, do you have the mercedes dipstick to check the trans fluid?

is the transfer case in H currently ? if so i would try switching it to low and back to high.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
fluid level is normal at 80 degrees. switched to L and back to H. still not engaging in gear.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hear this clicking sound from the tran pan
every 4-5 seconds. like something is trying to engage but misses.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when in R and D. very obvious clicking sound. every 4-5 seconds on the dot
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
nothing too harsh. very gentle click. right under the tran pan.

ok so when put into gear there is no engine rpm change?

what kind of scanner do you have?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
iCarSoft Mercedes/Smart MB II

good deal, ok go to the trans module and lets see if we can get the value for the gear selection.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lou I gotta head back to work. Is there anyway we can continue this later?

sure, i will get an email when you reply,

Lou

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks!

no problem, we can get this.

Lou

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lou made it home
I norcides that the reva do drop when putting in R and D
Also, when connected to the scanner the "Taget gear" changes and "Actual Gear" only goes between N and P. Accrual gear never goes to D or R
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry for the typos
Trying to type with gloves.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I rechecked The atf level ..it's a little on the low side. Despite me putting the recommended 6 liters by the manual.
Ok ok ok 6 is a lot usually it only takes 3.5 what are you using to check it ?
The fact that the gear never changes to a D or R is a good indication
Sorry good indication that the shifter solenoids may be out of whack
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is it possible that I could have broken the rod for the gear selector arm?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
after I installed the second plate. the gear selector almost felt stuck in P. I did use some force to change the gear selector. I almost forced it out of P into other gears.

man it sounds like something got moved or damaged out of place

i know you probably dont want to do it but i think we need to take the pan down and lets go through the movement of the lever and shift selector valve on the valve body.

this way we are not guessing.

for the most part the solenoids cannot be put into the wrong positions but we do need to go over the whole system and not assume.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
copy that. I will take the pan down today.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lou you are the man bortha! thanks for the fantastic assistance!
I will let you know what I find

I am not the man yet, we dont have a fix but I appreciate the enthusiasm :)
in fact, I would like for you to take as many pictures and or video as you can for me, pictures you can upload here, videos you can either youtube or I can send over a phone or email offer and we can text or email videos and what not, it can help get things done that much faster so you just let me know.

Lou

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lou, turns out I broke the connecting rod. Part#1402770543. It was in two pieces when I opened up the trancover.
Looked for the part online it is not for sale anywhere. Called the MBD they don't have it in their system. I think it comes with the entire valve body.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am thinking of repairing it with industrial strength glue. until a used part pops up on ebay.
Awesome , not for your problem but for diagnostics purposes :) send me a picture of the rod if you could
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will do. I will send you the before and after I glue the damn thing.
Thank Lou for the help!

I will still be here if you need my help, but

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fixed the hook, car goes into d and all other gears. Now got another issues, won't go into 3rd gear. Got selenoids malfunctions.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fixed the issues. Car shifts an everything. Had done something really stupid! Forgot to connect the 13 pin connector
Hey man live and learn haha nice !! Glad I could help :) if you need anything else . I am always here to help . If you could please rate me 5 stars as that is the only way I am paid my portion of the fee . Thanks ! And again let me know if I can be of any service in the future , Lou Palomino