Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 1986 Mercedes 560sl. The SRS light is on. Brushes…

HI, I have a...

HI, I have a 1986 Mercedes 560sl. The SRS light is on. Brushes behind steering wheel are all cleaned and seat belt connection is good.... How can I reset this light?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?

Nope

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 560SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had a few techs look at it... we've cleaned steering wheel brushes, contacts are good.... checked seat belt connectors, all good.... the light is still on....

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No one seems to have a diagnostic tool to reset and this is a 1986 that doesn't have the extra location for diagnostic....

the car is canadian, I don't want to throw parts at it, I want to diagnose correctly and fix the problem.....
the light randomly came on when starting one morning.
9/13/2017
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Mercedes Mechanic

sorry for the delay...........
This will require "hands on", as we can only supply remedies that are know to work.
Some may not be "specific" to the issue you have with the SRS
.

Film of grease on collector ring in steering wheel. Clean collector ring thoroughly (behind the tracks as well). Wash down with cleaning benzine, blast with air and rub dry using a fuzz-free cloth; install new collector ring if necessary.

.
"Cold soldering point" on cable harness. Check cable harness using tester or with socket box and multimeter (as of 09/87) whilst moving cable harness plug connection. Test values must remain constant. Resolder cable correctly.

.
Plug sleeves of plug connections stretched producing insufficient contact with relevant components. Move 10-pin plug connection (X29/9) during the test cycle (10 s or 4 s as of 09/87) of the RS or SRS warning lamp (A1e15). Warning lamp must not light up. Connect tester or socket box and multimeter (as of 09/87) and move plug connections.
Test values must remain constant.

.
Renew plug sleeves.

.
Bolts on positive or negative connections of airbag cable harness loose. Tighten bolts.

.
Insufficient press-on force of carbon contacts. Check smoothness of carbon contacts. Renew carbon contacts if necessary.

.
Voltage transformer (N24) faulty (only in vehicles up to 09/87). Disconnect voltage transformer connection (built-in fault detection). If warning lamp goes out renew voltage transformer.
For test step 2, the test value must remain constant for at least 30 s.
Renew voltage transformer if necessary.

.
Reserve power source (C1) faulty (only in vehicles up to 09/87). Check reserve power source using tester (reference value). Renew reserve power source if necessary.
Control unit (N2/2) faulty. Connect control unit and check airbag and belt tensioner system by means of RS or SRS warning lamp. Renew control unit if necessary.

.
Airbag unit or belt tensioner unit triggered. Renew parts.

.

You may also be able to locate Tester 126 589 10 21 00 from a Shop, Dealer or On-Line, which is typically needed for this Repair
I can post Connections & Testing with tester 126 589 10 21 00 if you need

.

thanks. Can you tell me location of voltage transformer N24?Also where would I plug in that tester and what's the process? What online shop would you recommend to buy it from....
also where is the reserve power source c1

sorry for the delay............
This is going to depend on which Control Unit your 560 has, as there were 2 different Part Numbers used & you will have to locate the Control Unit & look.
Also the Tester may cost more than having a Classic Car / Mercedes Shop to Repair
Click Attachments Below

d7318ccd-43f5-42b8-9add-...pngd7318cc...png0b0e7d1f-d6e6-4b6b-98d3-...png0b0e7d1...png95854821-8e6f-47a8-9c31-...png9585482...pngd3328b22-4b23-4437-bcc5-...pngd3328b2...png
ok I'll take a look at your recommendations tomorrow and get back to you?

Thanks

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works,
You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping..
I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses..
Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issue is resolved..

Thanks Don, you fix this problem and I'll give you 6 stars lol. Thanks for letting me know, it's the first time I use this. I'm hoping I can look through this on the weekend and see if I find anything. Appreciate the help.... I called around and no one has the tool, I was hoping I can figure it out some other way!
not even mercedes dealer has it :(

sorry for the delay..........
Let me know if you need further

Don if the fault is corrected, would the SRS light go out automatically or does it still have to be reset somehow?Does taking the battery overnight reset it? How can I take the battery out without disabling the radio (had that problem before)....
Just trying to think of alternative ways as no one has that diagnostic tool around here and the guy on ebay wants 1200-1500usd, for that I can change every single part of the SRS system :)

Until the issue is found & repaired, there is no way to Clear the SRS Light.
The SRS light is on either due to a bad or disconnected air bag or seat belt retractor or a fault in the wiring or a bad control unit.

You are going to need to get the car connected to the Mercedes SRS tester in order to diagnose the system & RESET

With no srs tester, I have no solution?

Hi.......I'm sorry, but without "knowing" what the real issue is, there is NO way to RESET
I posted that this will require "Hands On"
You posted that you were going to do more testing with the info I sent

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Mercedes Mechanic
I gave you 5 stars either way. I guess I'm still stuck though.If I change the right part, will the srs light go off automatically or will I still need that tool? Thanks for all your info.
can u kindly give me the part number for srs module. I'm thinking of doing a swap on that first.

This is going to depend on which Control Unit your 560 has, as there were 2 different Part Numbers used & you will have to locate the Control Unit & get the Part Number on it, then locate same.
The Control Unit is located under Radio
Click Attachment Below

tried changing SRS module, didn't fix it. SRS light still on....

s​orry..........I posted prior:

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Mercedes Mechanic