Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We have a euro import 1985 mb 280 sl. we just put it on the…

Customer Question
We have a euro...

We have a euro import 1985 mb 280 sl. we just put it on the road after 5 years of being idle. put new battery in and it fired right up. started it a few times and took it to local garage. the garage is only about a mile form our house, there is a slight hill. when i tried to accelerate it did not want to. the garage added approx. 5 gals of fresh gas to it while he did the basic fluid checks. sometimes it starts and other times not. sometimes will start after a day or two. our mechanic knows it has spark and you can smell gas when it will not start. it will turn over but will not catch. a few hours later he may go out and check it and it will start fine. not quite sure where to go, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. we have owned this car since 1993.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Well it started right up after 5 years and idled ok, maybe a little high but when you put it in gear the idle drops (as it always has). We have not driven it except taking it to the garage so cannot tell if it is a gas hog!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Absolutely not! My mechanic asked us to do research (to keep the repair costs down). The mechanic would like info about the mechanical fuel injection and firing sequence.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only that I love this car and had to take it off the road until I had both of my knees replaced!

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/12/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If there is a large amount of old gas in the tank even adding in new fuel will not help all of the way and the old fuel can cause this issue here.If this is the case I recommend draining the old fuel and adding new fuel to see if it then starts and runs properly each time.If this is or was done already and the issue is still the same or if you know almost all fuel in the tank is fresh let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete, it looks like there is no power going to the fuel pump (but there is spark). Any suggestions? Thanks.

There was a service bulletin out on the fuel pump relay failing causing no power to the pump.The fuel pump amperage draw needs tested when the pump is running as well to see if it is drawing to many amps as a pump drawing to many amps can cause premature failure of the pump relay.You dont want more then 7.5 amp draw from the pump itself.If there is more then 7.5 amps then the pump and relay need replaced.

My info shows the fuel pump relay is located behind the glove box.Unfortunately I do not have a picture of its location.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete