Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Car often kicks out of M mode and then M mode is not an

Customer Question

Car often kicks out of M mode and then M mode is not an option any longer only S & C are available choices
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2005 E55 AMG
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just replaced conductor plate
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This sounds like a computer has detected a fault with one of the components involved with manual shifting.This can be due to a shifter paddle itself failing or a faulty sensor.What needs to be done is to have the fault codes read out with a fully compatible scan tool that will plug in and can read all computers in your model to see what codes are set.Once this is done there should be at least one code set that will help to locate and repair this issue here.This code will need diagnosed and repaired.If you can get the codes read out and post the code info here this will help.But I have seen in some cases where a paddle can short out or send a false signal disabling the M mode.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete