Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Air flow meter not opening to let car start push down a

Customer Question

air flow meter not opening to let car start push down a little by hand car starts but meter closes when you let go of it.just changed motor its a 420 sel 88 model engine set for 2 years ran good then
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: no
JA: Are you fixing your 88 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: changed everything that has to do with fuel from other engine why does the air flo not open on its own when i crank the engine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: as soon as i get fuel pressure the air flap is harder to push down
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can i continue this in the morning
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
seems i am not getting answers for anything i have to leave now will continue in the morning
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Gary, sorry for the delay,

so I must advise you on not to push the airflow plate down.

what you are doing is pushing against a pin that is in the center of the fuel distributor and letting more fuel into the system.

you can damage the pin if you press on the plate, the airflow past the plate is what pulls it down and at the same time it adjusts the fuel quantity to the injectors.

I would be concerned with the fuel system and the fuel quality in the tank, how long has the fuel sat?

if pressing down on the plate allows the engine to run then you may need to adjust the air fuel ratio through the neck on the airflow housing.

Ill send over a picture.

Lou

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
fuel is new air flo plate does not open any when trying to start engine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what opens air flo plate to start engine

i just told you lol, the air flowing past the plate is what moves the plate, it will not move much when cranking or first started, that is what the idle air valve is for, you may have a stuck idle air valve.