Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

2015 Mercedes glk 250 bluetec shows 5 starts remaining. def

Customer Question

2015 Mercedes glk 250 bluetec shows 5 starts remaining. def reservoir is full. how do you reset the starts remaining counter
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model of your '15 Mercedes?
Customer: glk250 bluetec
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i'm trying to reset the starts remaining counter. any suggestions
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

It should have reset once you filled the def reservoir.Since it has not reset this indicates the def fluid sensor may need recalibrated or there is an issue with one of the DEF tank components sending a false signal.

You may be able to drive it a short distance to see if it resets.If this was already done or is done and does not resolve the issue then you will need to have the def fault codes checked with a fully compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers to see what codes are set and then those codes diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.

The dealer will need to recalibrate the level sensor as well in some cases.But you want to have this done soon before the start counts go to 0.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete