Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a neighbor that has a 1983 Mercedes 280 SL and it…

Customer Question
I have a neighbor...

I have a neighbor that has a 1983 Mercedes 280 SL and it will start up and run and go a little ways then it cuts off - Wait a few minutes & it will start back up then do the same thing. We think it might be a fuel filter but don't know where its located. I told him I thought it might be mounted beside the fuel pump but i'm not for sure about this as being the correct location, It is badged as a 380 SL but he says it was shipped over here fro Germany in its early years and is really a 280 SL w/6 cyl. eng.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

As far as we know its original

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am a mechanic at the S.C. BMW factory

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/8/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 11 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

this was common to happen with cars that were stored for long periods of time with little to no fuel in the tank, it would corrode and clog the filter and lines, what happens is the sediment in the tank will float around and eventually clog the screen in the tank and then the pump will loose suction and the engine will starve of fuel, then after sitting a few minutes the screen would unclog and then the car will run fine again.

what most likely needs to happen is the tank needs to come out and be flushed and acid dipped to clean the inside and then a coating can be applied.

this can be done at a radiator cleaning and repairing company or a fuel tank company.

the pump and filter are usually under the car on the passenger side in the rear.

let me know if you need more help, I will do what I can to help,

Lou

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful , rating is just as important to me as your issue is to you. Please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech