Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

I have a whining sound in my 2110 e550. Dealer says there is

Customer Question

I have a whining sound in my 2110 e550. Dealer says there is a problem with xfer case and will cost 6000 plus.
JA: What year is your E550?
Customer: 2010
JA: Are you fixing your E550 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just went to dealer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Just so that I am clear, you are looking for information on pricing for replacing the transfer case. Am I correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am looking for advice as to what to do. car has 107000 but service rep is looking at getting some help from mercedes
Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

I understand. If the vehicle is in good condition and the motor is sound, then it maybe worth the money paying for this job. As far as pricing goes, Mercedes has not listed the OEM part price. The labor pricing for this job is listed in hours, and depends on the hourly rate of the shop. The listed hours is 4.6 hours. This means the labor can be expected to be around $500-$650. I see a transfer case online for around $500. This means that if you go to a reputable local shop/garage that has experience with Mercedes, then you will be able to get this job done for less than $1500. The dealer is known for charging ridiculous pricing for parts and labor. If the vehicle is sound and in good shape, then this would be worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/112463650591?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Expert:  Todd M replied 1 month ago.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.