Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Hear low grinding noise from engine, rhythmic, Noticeable

Customer Question

Hear low grinding noise from engine, rhythmic
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Noticeable when ide
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: Idle or moving slow
JA: What year is your Mercedes?
Customer: 2012 gl450
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: From middle center
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Occasional for week, now consistent and loder Bought used 2 weeks agp
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I would have the harmonic balancer checked for any issues.If it is coming apart it can cause noises like this here.I would also have the belt and belt pulleys checked to see if the belt is wearing or if the pulley bearings are starting to fail on one of the pulleys causing this fault.

If all of these are checked and found to be o.k. the next thing to check here is to see if there is an internal fault with the timing chain gears.There were early issues on some models that the balance shaft gear would wear and cause issues but usually this was resolved by now.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete