Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The left cylinders are miss firing, 1997 500SL, NO BUT I…

The left cylinders are...

The left cylinders are miss firing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

1997 500SL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 500SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

NO BUT I HAVE HAD IT TO THREE foreign shops. one changed out all the coils and plugs wires. there was a exhaust leak in what looked like a casting hole in the manifold on the left side. which they put a plug into.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

Which hoses?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Driving in the summer in ca

9/4/2017
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

How do you or the shops know that the whole bank is misfiring ?

the car runs but when you excel to fast it whats to stall
the computer is giving codes that it is misfiring
Lou, where are you?
I don't want to have you call at this point, just give me some answers
I am here give me a few minutes to reply
This weekend has been crazy busy.
sorry, ok
if the whole bank is misfiring the shops should have checked
The ignition circuit to those coils, the power and pulse to the fuel injectors and also compression ?
Ok so if the car idles good and misfires under load it can be a exhaust restriction or a failing fuel pump that cannot keep up with the flow . I'm blown away that a few different shops cannot find this issue .
they said the coils were showing bleeding, so they replaced them. idk if they checked all the other things
you and me both!!!
it has a hint of the smell of fuel in the car
thEy did check the exhaust
Coils showing bleeding? Hmm...... no idea what that means lol. Ok so for 1 bank to lose power ONLY under load it's either timing (which is still unlikely) or fuel supply (which should affect the other bank) or clogged exhaust which is more likely .
Have you ever had a crankshaft position sensor replaced ?
true, but it isn't as far as what the computer is saying
no
could it be fuel to just the left bank ?
The fuel rail is one rail so it's still off unless there is a vacuum leak it would cause a lean condition
would I look on the left side for a vacuum hose that could be leaking?
That's the tricky thing as well , lol, a vacuum leak on the intake side is kinda rare , but if there were a vacuum leak on the exhaust it can trick the oxygen sensor into thinking the system is lean so it adds fuel . This is a odd scenario .
I asked if the crank sensor was replaced because if the sensor was not reading right as well it can create false misfires .
This is a complicated scenario but basic checks of fuel and ignition should give a result . Do you know specifically the cylinder numbers that are misfiring ?
the sensor was replaced on the exhaust
Ok why don't you give me a list of things they said they did and changed so I don't waste time with suggestions that were already done .
8 7 6 5 if I remember correctly
Anything ?
You may have missed my last reply
why don't you give me a list of things they said they did and changed so I don't waste time with suggestions that were already done .
ok
I just don't want to waste either of our times with assumption .
They replace the coil's, the plugs, and the wires. They also check the catalytic converter's they change the O2 sensor. There was a exhaust leak on the left side on the exhaust manifold which look like a casting a hole that may be a plug came out. So they put in a plug, and that fix the exhaust leak. They checked the hoses and replaced a couple, not sure if they were for fuel or vacuum. The computer has read that the cylinders on the left bank or miss firing, and an O2 sensor was bad. Is there any chance that the exhaust manifold on that side has a problem. That is the side that had the exhaust leak on what looked like a casting hole. Like I said they did put a plug of some sort into the hole. The mechanic felt like it was a very strange area to have an exhaust leak he looked it up end it did show what look like a spot there but couldn't figure out if there was a plug in it or what actually was plugging the hole. There was no thread marks inside the hole.

I would really like to see what they plugged, so if there was a leak on the exhaust it can actually burn the valves as the exhaust would get super hot with all the extra air in the exhaust.

would that cause only that side to misfire?

well yes since the leak was on the exhaust valve side and not the intake.

im am looking over a few other things. see what i can come up with .

this is not anything i have ran into that didnt involve bad timing but then it wouldnt be on one bank.

can u bring up a diagram of the exhaust manifold, and look at where the hole would be?
that is what I've been running into, it has everyone scathing there heads. then they say good luck and send me on my way. I just think it has to be something simple they are over looking?

i was trying , i see nothing but holes for the mounting.

it was where the exhaust connect, and the thing between that and the manifold?

lol, ok, I will try and decipher,

Sorry I'm not mechanical

its ok im just teasing i mean no offense,

take a look at these instructions, only hole should be for the sensor. also how long have you owned the car and did it just start out of nowhere?

I've had the car or three years and some change. It happen one day I was traveling on a hot day through the mountains driving to my brothers house two hours away I noticed it one point this noise turn the radio down and I had this horrible exhaust leak. So I turned around and went back home. Like I said I've had three mechanics look at it and try to figure out what the problem is, but I think it had to do with that hole that was discovered

ok that helps then, if the exhaust leak started before the issue that is a good observation.

are you near the car now?

No but I can't be in about a few minutes

just to be on the same page when you say left you are referring to the drivers side correct?

yes open the hood and see if you can upload a few pictures of the exhaust manifold and the engine in general so I can see if i notice anything.

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Ok , but please give me a fix. I just want my car back running the way it used to. And I can't pass smoke like it is. The tags are over do.
Phone call session started