Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Mercedes e350. Yesterday out of the blue when…

I have a 2008 Mercedes...
I have a 2008 Mercedes e350. Yesterday out of the blue when pulling out of the parking garage at my ny home the satellite radio ceased to work. On the dash/speedo display it says no sat. On the command display it states no subscription call Sirius the phone number and my ein. I called Sirius 5 times. They said my subscription is and was current. The sent a refresh signal and said it should come on in 15 minutes or less. It did not. Tried again including shutting off radio and also pulling into a rest stop shutting off car. Including having lunch with Bluetooth off so unit would go to sleep. Still no luck. Any ideas? Cheapest first. I'm technically astute. If it's the antenna that's failed, I'll need the procedure to remove so I don't make a mess. Thanks
9/2/2017
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

first off sirius is never helpful with these issues lol you most likely have a failed sat radio module,

first lets see if we can reset the module by pulling the fuse. i will get you the location

Lou

Here you go , pull this fuse in the trunk and wait a few minutes and reinstall it and see if the module comes back to life, if it does not you will need to go to the dealer to see if there are software updates that can be performed OR just order a replacement one on ebay or online sites and have that one set up for subscription.

the modules in our cars are very problematic and with sirius their answer is always the same "everything looks good on our end" lol.

hope this helps.

let me know if you need anything else,

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful , rating is just as important to me as your issue is to you. Please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hi Louis. I will try the fuse shortly. It's a monsoon today at the jersey shore. If I have to replace the module, would you have the procedure? Also where is the fuse in the trunk in my model?
Never mind lol I see your link

well not sure if you seen but i sent the picture of the location, it is just forward of the spare tire and battery.

I will get you the replacement instructions as well :)

The module replacement instructions. Also is there a chance that the antenna is bad?

no, if there was the screen would not show the preview channel :)

But it's not showing the preview channel or has any sound. Just the subscription message. I can't change to 184 or any channel for that matter?

ah sorry well the its a slight possibility.......... but then sirius would not have been able to find and do a diag on the module.

in my experience this is classic module failure. lets see what happens after pulling the fuse.

the antenna should be mounted on the trunk lid and is rarely the issue. it can be dont get me wrong but rare.

This is an e. The antenna is on the roof/shark Fin? Yes/ no?
Let me pull the fuse and I will get back to you. Also if you can the module replacement procedure, please?

let me double check because its usually a puck style antenna on the center of trunk lid, I cant remember when we went to the roof antenna, I will double check though.

getting those now , but you keep messaging me lol and i dont want you to think i left.

No antenna on my lid. My 2006 sl500 has the puck. I believe this 2008 has the combo gps/sat fin on the roof

ok so the module is on the right side of the trunk behind the panel, the work info shows the left side panel BUT the screw and rivet locations are identical on the right side.

also the work instructions for the sat radio are the installation instructions only because mercedes does not double up on work info so that is what we have to use at tiimes is the retrofit instructions as they are identical just a few extra steps.

I just looked out window. No puck on lid. Roof antenna

ok up to build date 05/08 is the trunk antenna and as of 06/08 build date is roof. you win this one lol

so the roof antenna I am going to change my story on, we had issues with those.

but the only way to tell if its an antenna is to have the codes read, the scanner will throw a code for the antenna.

hope this helps, you can reply to me at any time and I will always get back with you.

so let me know if the fuse trick helps.

Lou

whats with the ??

Crossed messages lol

oh ok :)

Hey Lou pulled the fuse waited reinstalled. Started car. Speedo display said updating then 2 mins later went back to "no sat". Tried again and just got no sat. Should I just move on to swapping sat module? Also the only ones on eBay are used/tested? Any experience with these? Thanks. ***** P.S. I want to try to avoid antenna replacement as it looks like a pain in the ass!
Hey Michael, yeah I think the module needs replaced . I honestly do , it's your call if you want to have a shop check codes to be sure there are no codes but I think getting a used module is fine . You will just have to call Sirius and have it set up with the new numbers . As far as myself and used ones I don't have experience , all I can say is get one from a seller that allows refunds and has as close to 100% feedback as possible that way your not stuck with it .
Lou I have a very sophisticated blue tooth analysis equip. My cousin is a car dealer in Atlanta. I get the hand me downs. Any particular code? Not bad for a fed judge huh? Lol
Nice , well, hook it up and see if you can run codes for the entire car looking for the SDAR module or sat radio module .
Ok I'll let you know

Ok sounds good .