Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2004 SLK230 will not crank. Battery seems OK. Coolant fan…

My 2004 SLK230 will...

My 2004 SLK230 will not crank. Battery seems OK. Coolant fan runs at high speed when key is turned to the start position. I can't hear any sound from the starter or the solenoid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

The car is in park. I suppose the car has a wheel lock. I just bought the car a couple of weeks ago and this non-cranking problem has happened occasionally. It was fixed once by disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes and then reconnecting.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SLK230 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to fix it myself but don't understand all I need to. I just disconnected the battery but have not re-connected it again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I did replace the two 2025 batteries in the key fob the first time the car failed to start because they were dead.

9/1/2017
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

This problem is caused by a loose solder (sodder) in the relay board of the K40 fuse and relay module located inside the plastic housing on the passenger side of the engine bay. I have personally fixed a lot of these . You will either need to find and fix the solder or just replace the relay module. When you take the big cover off the relay module is the small black box with the fuses on top. Hope this helps !!! Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit for helping, 5 STARS is ideal. Please request me in the future! Keep in mind that when you rate it does NOT end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, THANKS! Lou P Master Mercedes-Benz Tech Master ASE Certified

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
I re-soldered several connections that appeared to be cracked. I have had no starting problems since so I hope that will solve it. It was an intermittent problem though so it could, I suppose, happen again. I thank you for your assistance. I could not have repaired this without your help.

Stay positive ! You are on the right track. That relay was very problematic I had the exact same issue , car would not crank or it would crank and not start 1 every few months !! Finally I told the customer leave it with me and I went threw everything to find 1 loose solder that powered up the engine module lol. Best find ever ! I'll be here if you need anything else ! Have a good week! Lou Palomino