Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Electric seats not working 2000 mercedes sl500, would like…

Electric seats not working...

Electric seats not working 2000 mercedes sl500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Would like to know if seats are controlled with relays or fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

118000 and yes performs normally

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No.....just that seats won't operate from door panel switches

8/31/2017
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Can you tell me if its both seats or just one seat?

also do the windows work?

windows work fine.....both seats are NOT working

ok good deal that rules out door control modules, let me check the diagram. give me a few minutes please.

can you check and see what happens if you press the memory buttons? see if the seats move?

seats do not move with memory buttons

check fuses 26 and 27 in the engine bay fuse box. see if they are blown,

let me know,

Lou

fuses 26 and 27 are ok

ok, let me see if there is a relay that activates for these modules.

ok

ok see if fuse 21 is good and has power that will tell me if the relay is activated. should be with the car running.

also make sure fuse 23 is good, they use a lot of fuses for this simple seat activation lol.

fuse 21 ok.....
fuse 23 ok
Ok if they are ok we need to check them for power with a test light to make sure the circuit is powered up
have been using 12v tester on fuses......all have power going through them.....23, 21, 26, & 27
Oh ok good deal just making sure we are on the same page . So then the next step would be to see if we have power at the 4 pin connector on each seat module . The wire colors in the connector are
Red with yellow stripe
Red with white stripe
And Ted with green stripe
All those should have power . The brown wire is ground
is the seat module under the seat, because that may be impossible to reach without removing seat

unfortunately yes.

this is odd that you have power at all fuses and both seats dont work, i wonder if a wire got messed with, how did this all happen?

is the car stored? or driven daily?

driven daily.....wife was using car in New Orleans for the past couple of weeks....when she returned with car (we live in Arkansas), neither seat could be adjusted.....as she is smaller than I am, the seats are too far forward and upright for me to drive comfortably.....wife claims she adjusted the driver seat once, when she started her trip.....also SRS light is now on??!?!?!?!?

Ok let me go through the diagrams again . So far nothing is making sense electronically

thanks....
seems odd it would be seat module.....would require both seats to have faulty modules.....not likely I would think

Yeah no it's a power supply problem they share the same circuit but different grounds

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician