Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 E350 with 119500 miles in excellent condition…

I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 E350 with 119500 miles in excellent condition with exception of check engine light. The error codes are 1200 and 1208.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

My question, is car driveable and how urgent is the repair to address this issu?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, MB Tampa diagnostics uncovered the issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/18/2017
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

hello, the 1200 and 1208 codes are not good.

it relates to the common balance shaft issue mercedes has had in 2006 and 2007 V6 and V8 engines.

the car is drive able and wont have the power or gas mileage it should due to the engine module not allowing the engine to run at its full potential due to the issue

I can post to you the bulletin if you would like but its not a easy issue, its very expensive and timely repair.

Lou P

Here is the bulletin along with the picture links,

hope this helps, you have not responded yet so please let me know if you have any questions or what not and I will do what I can to help you, essentially for this repair the engine needs removed and disassembled to replace a shaft in the center of the engine that has prematurely worn do to a defect. mercedes had a class action lawsuit on this issue .

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

Ok. Thank you Lou.
Are you suggesting I have the repair done before traveling long distances?

eh, this is a tough one for me,

Thanx I appreciate your honesty.
Be well ������

I have seen people drive with this issue for 30K miles or more. the wear on the shaft doesnt cause internal damage to the engine, it just causes the engine to be limited in power due to the fault code. so i dont think you will have a problem driving it, you just dont want to be beating on the car.

Lou

Thanx for your honesty.
Be well.

no problem, you as well, good luck with the mercedes, hope it all works out for you,

Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician