Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am having an issue similar to this article. 2007 GL 450.

I am having an...

I am having an issue similar to this article. https://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/4wq42-headlights-set-auto-position-parking-lights.html

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2007 GL 450

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to fix it myself

All other lights and switches are functioning properly. I hear clicks from near the driver console, the parking light stays on and I hear the air pump (I think ) from the passenger side of the engine also clicking at times. Last night the parking lights stayed on and drained the battery. I had to call AAA for a jump start.
8/17/2017
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

the light functions are performed by the front sam control unit, the control unit is located under the passenger seat . there is a vent directly above it and the most common failure with this module is water intrusion, either something gets spilled in the back seat or the sunroof leaks, so let me ask you, has it rained recently before this happened or was anything spilled in the car or was a detail performed?

A detail was performed on the car.

ok, sometimes they shampoo the carpet and water gets into the module, are you handy? i can show you how to access the module.

we can access it and check for water.

are you still with me?

Driving now. Running late for work. I checked in thr battery compartment under passender sear. Can't find water or moisture but it has some red paint/spray.May be there is some moisture..can't tell
Should I try to leave the access cover for the battery open and leave the cat in our Arizona hot sun? Hopefully that will get any moisture or water to dry out.

oh ok gotcha, well it cant hurt it, most times if wet the problems will go away after a few days of drying but then corrosion will start and other problems will creep up on you, i will upload the info on how to access the sam.

if you have more questions you can get back to me at any time and I will respond,

Lou P.

all you need to do is remove the vent and fold the carpet forward and then remove the tubing ,

not that hard just tedious, here are the instructions, then unplug the sam connectiions and check for water. any found and you know the issue, this obviously is common since i asked if the car had been detailed lol,

sorry you are having this issue, let me know if you need more help,

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

I have taken my time to answer your question the best I could and I will continue to help if you need follow up information , all I ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so I may receive my credit for assisting you, Thank you.
Lou Palomino
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hi Lou, finally got my mechanic to help with the diagnosis. He conformed there was gunk on the circuit on the SAM. Can I clean it and reinstall or does it have to be replaced?
Awesome , I have heard success stories and I have heard not so successful stories it all depends on how much corrosion was on their I really can't answer that all I can say is if the car is operational with no issues then let it ride and when a problem occurs then at least you know it's very probably it's the Sam.
The images from my SAM are attached. I would appreciate if you could please take a peek and let me know if cleaning and reinstalling would work or if we have to buy a new sam.

ok I just seen the email from customer service with the pictures, wow, that is probably not going to be cleanable. that is a lot and in the connection and the chips , i dont think that is usable.

We just gave it a try and put it back. Now the parking lights are behaving correctly. But the low beam is staying on all the time when the engine is running even when the swith is in auto. Also i am getting an air suspension message that says visit workshop. It shows the vehicle with an up arrow as when the vehicle rises up. I think it gave a code 5320 and 5507.

yep, the sam is the issue my man.

either keep trying to get it replaced :(