Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I was driving my one year old 2017 Mercedes E300 to a

Customer Question
I was driving my...

I was driving my one year old 2017 Mercedes E300 to a location using my navigator. I was traveling on a main roadway (thankfully in light traffic) at about 30 mph when my vehicle suddenly went into braking mode. The braking was sudden and forceful and my foot was not on the brake. There was absolutely nothing in front of me at the time. The vehicle behind me slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting me. I was able to put the car back in drive and move out of the way. It absolutely terrified me! There was no reason for the brakes to engage. No cars in front of me. Bright and early Monday morning, I’ll be at the dealer. My question: WHAT HAPPENED??

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

I have an appointment on Wednesday for my 10,000 mile service

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing my Navigator myself?? NEVER

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
8/6/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 6 months ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** this speed it was more than likely the collision avoidance system. Most of the time this is caused by a failure of one of the sensors, though it can be the module itself. This can be a scary situation. The dealer should be able to install their scan tool to see what occurred and to see what needs to be replaced. It will more than likely need to have the control module reprogrammed and a sensor replaced. It is a good thing this is under warranty as this system is hard and expensive to repair. If you need further help please let me know.

FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician