Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Liftgate power lock motor won't actuate lock on a 2003

Customer Question
Liftgate power lock motor won't...
Liftgate power lock motor won't actuate lock on a 2003 ML350. Motor checks OK, but when actuated only 1/2-1 volt or so, is momentarily present at the motor plug when connected to a Fluke meter.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: auto, 120K give or take.
JA: Are you fixing your ML350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked the lock actuator motor for proper function, it checks ok. Noticed it wasn't working after replacing the lock actuator in the front passenger door. No idea if the liftgate problem just happened or if nobody had noticed it yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mercedes
8/5/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Have you checked the relay yet?

Not sure, the only relay I have found in under the hood and appears to operate all the power locks. The other 4 doors operate normally but I did do the swap relay trick with no change. If there is a separate relay dedicated to the liftgate I haven't found it. I am assuming the relaly on the lift gate is part of the electric de-fog circuit?I don't have a wiring diagram so I am a bit in the dark here.
As far as skills, I'm not an auto mechanic, I fix more airplanes than cars but have a better than average grasp of troubleshooting and diagnostic procidures. Without a wiring diagram to depict how they designed the circuit I am at a dcided disadvantage!
I tested the operation of the lock actuator with a 9V battery, (like the one in a smoke detector) so not to toast anything. It functions normally in both directions.
I will go look... I acts like bad contacts, only a volt or so is showing up at the actuator connector when the locks are operated.
Found the relay and swapped it with an adjoining one with the same p/n, no change. You can hear the actuator try and move when you activate it but there is insufficient current making it to the motor to do anything. The flute meter is only showing a momentary 0.8 - 1.0 VDC + or - depending. on if you are locking or unlocking.
I'm going to check for a bad ground. Looks like term A should go to ground.

I would also jump 5 to 3 and see what your getting on there, it should work if your doing that if not there will be a fault shown in the ground

OK, jumping 3 and 5 do nothing.I can drive the lock to both positions by swapping the a and b on C2 between ground and either of the gray and white wires and the brown wire on C1 has ground continuity.One difference I see is this diagram depicts a pink wire where this car has a green wire.The issue appears to be a ground issue, the motor side of the gray and white wire will drive the lock either direction by reversing the polarity, what is the function of the other two wires? Seems it should operate by simply swapping the polarity of the gray and white, but it doesn't appear to work that way, they both seem to provide 12VDC?

when you jumped 3 to 5 what did you have when the circuit was complete?

Same as when the relay was installed, a feeble click and that's it.
I will be busy flying all day tomorrow so I will get back with you when I get done. If you could send more of the wiring diagram so I can see the function of more of the wires I will ring out the harness a bit more for proper function.Also if you have something on the motor, I'm having a hard time getting my head around the ground path, and that appears to be the source of the problem. If the ground path is supposed to come thru either of the wires on C2, it isn't. If it is supposed to come thru the brown wire on C1 the fault must be inside the motor assembly.
I was thinking, is there a switch in the latch that inhibits the operation of the power lock when the liftgate is ajar like the cabin doors? This vehicle had issues with the latch comming loose preventing the door opening. Is there a switch/sensor in that latch assembly that could have been damaged that is now preventing the system from operating normally?

Not from the diagram im lookinf at but I dont have more info on that system so ill open this back up to the other techs to see if they have something that could help

thanks,There are two additional wires coming out of the lock motor, one of which appears to be a ground. If these are part of the actuation circuit it would explain why I can operate it manually with a 9V battery.The main question I have is where does the ground (-) path for the motor come from, the relay box up front or the brown wire in the back?
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 3 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

ok on the motor there are 2 plugs, we are interested in the small 2 pin plug with the white wire and pink wire, does that agree with what you are looking at?

the small plug. But on this vehicle the wires are green and brown, no pink.The lock can be driven to either position if you supply a ground to one or the other of the pins on the other (bigger) plug and (+) from the factory wiring. Swapping the ground, or the operation mode (lock/unlock) will reverse the operation.

ok, that is odd that the wiring does not match, can i have the build date on the drivers door sticker?

also what i want you to do since you located the proper wires, use a meter to ground and check either wire for positive when locking or unlocking, and then check the wires for negative , lets see if we are missing 1 switched signal or both signals on a certain wire, hope that makes sense, since its the same motor the polarity will change when locked and unlocked. if we are missing positive and negative on 1 or bother wires that tells me we have a wiring issue, if we are missing just on 1 wire that tells me wiring issue, if we are getting one voltage source but not the other it tells me control module issue or relay issue. . also as a side not this is the only model that the mercedes diagram does not give us diagnostics for but each wire has print on it, it tells where the wire connects to and from. its pretty neat . hard to read but the wire shows the connection and terminal number.

let me know what you get on each wire. both positive and ground when locking and unlocking,. that will open op doors for us, no pun intended.

05/03
VIN 4JGAB57E83A451961
(+) on either wire depending on lock or unlock, No (-) on either. If you connect a Fluke between the two wire you get a momentary voltage of less than a volt during actuation. If you connect one wire or the other to a good ground you get a solid 12+ for a second or so when the locks are actuated, one wire or the other depending on the direction of operation.
the small brown wire on the small plug appears to be a ground. No clue what the green wire is for.

perfect. let me get at the diagram, be right back.

ok on the latch, there are 2 connection, a 2 wire and a 3 wire that only has 2 wires in it correct?

The problem appears to be with the ground path. Either it is broken somewhere or it is inhibited by a switch somewhere, hence my interest in the function of the other wires.

on the 3 pin connection i see that the brown is ground and the other that shows me to be pink goes back to the aam module which tells me its most likely a signal wire that shows the lock is activated or what not.

the wires we are concerned with are in the 2 wire connection. which im sure we are on the same page with.

so ...............

the grey wire and white wire should both be grounded at rest. the grey wire grounds through relay k15 terminal 4, and when lock or unlock happens the relay is activated to close to terminal 3 which sends positive on the wire . so lets make sure that relay k15 is correct and has all the proper terminals. should be a 5 pin relay.

the same is said for relay k20. since we have positive that tells me that the relays and wiring is good, the issue may be a faulty relay or a relay that is not correct. let me know !!

both relays are located in the engine bay fuse box.

here is what i am looking at .

m14/7 is the latch, you can follow along i hope . its not hard but not easy lol, the 30 is battery power, the 31 is ground. that way you can tell where i am getting the info from for the wiring and polarities.

legend

as you can see this is genuine mercedes info, not ***** *****ke what was given to you earlier.

I am making the assumption they are good, First thing I did was swap them with others in the box with the same p/n. No change.I will confirm.The liftgate latch had some issues some time ago, it was slammed shut in the closed position and required some persuasion to get it to operate again. Any chance there is a switch attached to the latch that was damaged the is inhibiting proper operation?

this is a simple circuit, at rest the wires have ground, when activated a certain relay will activate and apply power .

this car is not smart lol, its a very basic system hence all the relays. there are 5 total i think for the locking system, :(

and yes no assumptions, we confirm.

i will have to leave for a bit but can return later. feel free to reply as much as needed i will reply when i can but be on full time later today.

With the diagrams, I have a place to start other than just poking and guessing....

good deal. again the problem with this car is mercedes never gave us diagnostics on what signals happen when. so you have what i have.

let me know what you find with the ground. we should have ground on both wires at rest.

OK, here is what I have found, the problem appears to be in the control circuit when lock command is given both K15 & K20 are energised. At rest both the white and gray wires are Lo and when both are Hi when the lock button is depressed, Nothing for the unlock command, 0.8-0.5V for a second or less.No wonder it doesn't work! If I provide a ground to one of the pins on the motor I can drive the motor with either of the leads using the lock command, reversing the polarity on the motor drives it the other way with the lock command withe either wire...

ok, good deal, i am getting the diagram back up and will report back.

ok so the problem has to be in the k15 ground activation circuit for the relay correct? because if the other relay had an issue none of the locks would work. is this correct? from what i am seeing , if so our ability to diagnose is about to get very slim. if the issue is limited to the activation circuit of the k15 relay then either the pin on the aam is bent or the aam is not activating it and we need a scanner to diagnose it further to see if we can activate it with the scanner.

pin 4 on the aam, the aam is the all activity module and it is connected to the bottom side of the fuse box in the engine bay.

it is easily removed. then you can check all the pins to see if any are bent especially pin4 .

so let me know what you decide to do but hey man we are there.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

any progress??

Haven't had a chance to get back to the car project, I have had a couple airplane cylinders that needed changed and a turbo issue on another plane that needed my attention first.

gotcha, always thought it would be cool to work on airplanes but there is no room for error. pretty sure you dont get comebacks. sorry to bother you, let me know.

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician