Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an SL 500 Mercedes. Today when I was driving I lost…

Customer Question
Hi, I have an...

Hi, I have an SL 500 Mercedes. Today when I was driving I lost acceleration even though I was pressing on the gas. I had to turn the car off and restart it and then it started working as normal. Later today on my way home the check engine light came on. As I was pulling into my driver to park into my parking space, I switched gears into reverse and felt a huge kick back from the engine, kind of hard to describe but it happened again when I switched to drive to pull forward.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on and is yellow color.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your SL?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's about it

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
8/4/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 1 year ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Hi, my name is***** you lost the throttle response you more than likely have a fault with the accelerator pedal position sensor. You will need to get the car connected to a Mercedes scan tool to read out the fault codes in the engine and the transmission control modules. The harsh shift can be caused by the accelerator problem. There are other possibilities such as a fault with the throttle actuator or with the transmission control system but since you lost throttle response I'm inclined to think you have a problem with the pedal position sensor.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, but would that trigger the check engine light to come on?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The check engine light now stays on the dash, it is yellow but it isn't flashing. The engine isn't overheating either.
it will definitely trigger the check engine light.
The light is just telling you that a malfunction has occurred and a fault has been stored in the engine control module.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh ok, I am taking in to get checked out tomorrow. So what you are saying is that they should be able to figure out what is wrong by hooking it up to the computer?
Correct
The fault codes will point to the problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. Sounds good. I'll follow up with ya tomorrow and let you know what I found out, I might need a second opinion.
Sounds good.