Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Well, it starts and it idles while in park, but as soon as I…

Customer Question
Well, it starts and...

Well, it starts and it idles while in park, but as soon as I put it in drive it idles super low and dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

It's a 6 cylinder gas engine. That's all I know. It's got 161,222 miles on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

It's an 89 260e.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 260E yourself? What have you tried so far?

My dad has tried a couple things on it. He's really only tried cleaning out the idle air control valve and checked the oil levels. He's going to try replacing the fuel filter today.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's everything.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
We got the fuel filter changed and that didn't fix it still. When he changed it though there was a leak and what was leaking was a milky oil color.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message + Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 2 days by:
8/5/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

I would try pulling the throttle body next and clean it till like new condition and perform system reset

Okay we will try that next. Where are those things located? Do you happen to have a diagram or something I could follow?

Im trying to locate that now, I can have something by monday for you if that works, I have to order it though the system because of the age and rarity of the vehicle

It would be better if we could do it today. Do you think I could find a walk through on YouTube or something?

if you take a picture of the engine I can show you for sure, I was looking on YouTube and couldnt find anything

Okay. Give me just one second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBOD77t0eAw

also while your in there try this procedure as well its not in English but you can see what they are doing

Okay. Sounds good. I will give that a try. And you said to perform a system reset. Do you have a walk through for that?

that is simple, just remove the battery cables neg then pos, touch them together wait 30 mins reinstall pos then neg, crank car, let idle with no acc on for 10, turn on all acc and I mean everything wait 10, the put in drive with everything on still wait 10, and that will relearn the idle

Okay. I will try all of those and let you know what happens. Thank you.

sure thing!

System reset didn't work. Cleaned all 6 spark plugs and verified that there is spark. Engine turns over, but won't start. Not sure if there is a gas/air mix issue or what?

Did you clean the throttle body and do what was in the video?

sir. We cleaned the throttle body and cleaned the idle air control valve.

next I would check fuel pressure but my system is not giving me this information, ill have to open this back up to the other techs for help

Oh okay.
We are now at the point where when the key is turned to the on position and the fuel pump primes, the engine will fire and then dies again. This happens every time the fuel pump is primed and then the keys is turned to the start position.
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician