Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

I have a 2000 S430 whose engine won't shut off when I park

Customer Question

I have a 2000 S430 whose engine won't shut off when I park it.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 149000 Automatic
JA: Are you fixing your S430 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Initially no one could figure it out. I feel it has to do with the ignition switch
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It has the automatic air ride adjustable system. Thanks
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you are turning off the key and the engine continues to run still on this model this is caused by the EIS ( electronic igniton switch).The contacts in the switch can short out causing this fault with this switch needing replaced.If this was not checked for any fault codes set ( with a fully compatible scan tool or dealers SDS machine plugged into your vehicle) or the switch signals were not checked this needs done to be sure that it needs replaced as I suspect it does.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete