Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 ml350 will not start. All lights on and start error…

Customer Question
2004 ml350 will not start...
2004 ml350 will not start. All lights on and start error message
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercedes
My ml350 2004. Refuse to start. All lights on dash comes on but does not start and start error message pops up. Alarm did go off before the start error message came on. I did order a new valet key and still does not start. Replaced battery and still nothing
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/2/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 11 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

having the start error message is not good, how many keys total do you have?

1. I tried ordering a new one but it's out of stock so I ended up getting a valet from MB dealership

ok, so the start error can happen for a few reasons,

1. bad ignition key
  2. bad ignition transponder coil that mounts around the ignition lock cylinder.
  3. bad AAM (all activiy module) that is the main alarm controller.

the start error problem is super hard to diagnose with only one key, the valet key should have worked but it would still need programmed to the car with the mb scanner . you may not like this but the only way to have this diagnosed is at a dealer with 2 ignition keys. if not you will be wasting lots of time and money trying to trouble shoot this and you will still need to have the dealer code the modules or keys when installed. so to save you time and money its best to have towed to the dealer. hope this helps.

if there were other avenues we could do i would surely advise.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

did you have any questions regarding what i have stated??

Where is the aam located?

the aam is attached to the fuse box in the engine bay.