Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A friends 2012 Mercedes ML350 Blue Tech. I had code P20BE…

Customer Question
A friends 2012 Mercedes ML350...
A friends 2012 Mercedes ML350 Blue Tech.
I had code P20BE Reductant tank heater B control circuit performance.
I dropped the tank ran resistance test & found the heater defective.
Friend purchased a kit containing level sensor & heater from XEMODEX Technology.
In stalled double checked solder joints & installed. Filled tank & attempted drive cycles. Now codes P203C reductant level senor low & permanent codes P203C & P203D.
Level sensor codes were not present before these components were replaced.
Double checked all connections.
Any thoughts?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mercedes
8/1/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician replied 9 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

when the unit was replaced was any wiring replaced or repairs performed ?

i do need a vin # of the vehicle to get the factory repair information.

thanks

VIN # 4JGDA2EB1CA093903
U42 DIESEL EXHAUST TREATMENT BLUETEC SCR GENERATION 1

there is a good possibility that the unit that you installed is no good because you did not have that fault till afterwards the part was installed. second off i do not trust aftermarket parts due to this issue that you may have !!

That's not telling me very much, I already assumed that.
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 9 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

John looking over the info i would like to help, I have dealt with almost all the adblue issues on the site. what kind of scan tool are you using to read these codes?

also after pulling up the code info it seems there is a short circuit to positive and ground which is weird, not only that but you mentioned "solders" in your story, did you have to solder in anything??????

Hello, The Scanner being used is a Snapon Solas Pro. The soldering is the method called for by XEMODEX Technology to install the heating element & level sensor. The color coded wires get soldered & heat shrinked to the harness on top of the DEF tank. I would have much preferred that my friend ordered the new Bosch assembly, he saw this online & thought it was a better choice.
I have been doing this work since 1975 & I am a semi retired master tech. I have a small home shop servicing vehicle belonging to friends & family.
However this is my first encounter with a Benz Blue Tech issue.
My home shop if interested https://www.facebook.com/Johns-English-Creek-Garage-Auto-Repair-1465854357011820/XEMODEX Technology Kit http://xemodex.com/us/product/adblue-bluetec-urea-tank-repair-kit-for-mercedes-benz-r-class/

Ok John thanks for the info , let me look over the links . We can get this figured . The solder part worries me a bit lol, not the capability of yourself but the fact that the company can make a unit to replace parts yet no connector . So give me a little time I will be commuting home soon and get the home computer up and running and get back with you . Thanks for giving me the chance to help. Lou P

Hello! I have not had any response since yesterday!!

Hello? are you seeing my responses?

MB Paul
MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician