Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

How much will it cost? its a 2002 MercedesS500cl and it is…

Customer Question
How much will it...

How much will it cost?

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Mercedes Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Its a 2002 MercedesS500cl and it is overheating at idle. It is full of coolant, the fan runs real slow, now and then the fan goes faster and unless you start driving the temp will go above 120 and almost to red. does not appear to be any leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Thats it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercedes
8/1/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 11 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. the first thing you need to do is to make sure the upper and lower radiator hoses are equally hot when the engine gets up to operating temp.

that would tell me if the radiator is clogged up right? If they are both equally hot its probably the radiator or fan? how about the temp sensor that tells the fan what to do? the fan runs slow for a short period of time when i first start it up, then it will run faster for about one minute and then it doesnt seem to run anymore

sure it could be the fan but we need to take it one step at a time. that doesnt tell you the radiator is clogged. that verifies the water pump is ok if the lower hose is as hot as the upper.

ok if the pump is okay where would you go next?
temp sensor or thermostat?

if its overheating at idle and cools down while driving then the fans need checked.

a temp sensor or thermostat would not cause this issue if its only overheating when sitting still.

the temp sensor tells the fan when to run, right? the fan will run slow when first started for like a minute and then later run fast for about a minute and that seems to be about it. as the temp rises, it might come on fast for a very short time

the temp sensor gives information to the computer. the computer tell the fans when to run.

hows it going?