Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2016 ev smart car should be fully charged when i put key in…

Customer Question
2016 ev smart car...

2016 ev smart car should be fully charged when i put key in and turn nothing happens mo lights no sounds at all happened once before and was shifter was not fully in park this time not sure

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes wheel turns and regular key and spare get same results

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '16 smart?

Electric version

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just tried key turned foot off and on brake and trying tapping shifter looks like it might be alittle bit to the right of center

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all. No sounds no clicking no lights on dash

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercedes
7/31/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If there is a fault with the shifter itself this will cause a false signal to the computers on what gear it is in.This will cause the fault you are seeing here.I have seen some shifter assemblies that have to be replaced to resolve this type of fault here.The shifter usually has to be removed and inspected as well as shift linkage for any issues.

The fault codes also need to be checked/read out with a fully compatible scan tool/computer plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set and once this is done any codes set then need diagnosed and repaired.

If the shifter assembly has to be replaced it usually has to be programmed by a dealer.

Since this is a 2016 model this should be all covered under factory warranty for the repairs at no charge to you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete