Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Engine turns but will not start, new battery, car not

Customer Question
Engine turns but will...

Engine turns but will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

New battery, car not operated for extended time.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

1998 c240 Japanese version.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C240 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. only tried starting a few times.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

A new key was bought as the old one failed to turn. After replacing the key the engine turned but will not start.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 2 days by:
8/2/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the key did not come from a dealer ordered in by the vehicles VIN number then the key is incorrect and needs replaced with one ordered in by the VIN number.If it was ordered in and this issue occurred after the key was replaced you may need to have it programmed since it sat for so long.

The other issue I have seen is a faulty fuel pump needing replaced.I would have the fuel system tested if needed to see if this is the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete