Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a C200 CDI automatic. 05 plate. Bought last October.

Customer Question
Hi Paul. I have...

Hi Paul. I have a C200 CDI automatic. 05 plate. Bought last October. A few weeks ago the engine warning light came on and the turbo failed to kick in, although only intermittently. Then, whilst on the motorway it went through the gears (first 3 I think) and then went into permanent limp home mode. My local garage got their diagnostics guy to check it and after finding numerous codes they whittled them down to just 2. The first lead to discovering there was a split in the turbo pipe to the engine, which was replaced. My garage man was dubious about whether this would fix the problem entirely, but it was ok for a couple of weeks until today when the engine warning light has come on again, and the engine has gone into limp home mode again. Any thoughts please? Supposed to be going to France in it tomorrow afternoon! Gutted!! Malcolm

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Turbo?

No idea

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not mechanically minded so I have not tried anything. Garage replaced turbo pipe which was split.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so!

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
7/31/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that can cause the engine light to come on and the engine to go into limp in. The engine light has come on because the engine controller has seen a failure in a monitored component and set fault codes. The issue could be an injector, wiring, any engine sensor, the turbo itself, a boost leak, an electronic throttle control issue; nearly anything related to engine control can cause the engine light and limp in.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes are currently setting and then testing can be done from there based on the findings.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician