Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 2003 S430 4-Matic that has had repeated issues with…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 S430 4-Matic that has had repeated issues with the Air Suspension. Both front shocks/struts have been replaced as well as the air pump. The vehicle rides just fine and the car no longer lowers over night. However, I still have the Air Ride warning light (See Shop) on steady on the instrument cluster. This is not the exact wording of the warning but I think you might know what I'm talking about. Is there some way to reset this warning? I own an independent auto repair center with several scanners but I don't think that they have the capability to address some Mercedes issues. Any thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

No fluid and the ride is just fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Mercedes?

S430 4-Matic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have replaced both front shocks as well as the air pump (all replacement parts are OEM)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
7/31/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 6 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

is the warning light on in red or white?

does the warning come on as soon as the car is started? or after a few minutes?

I can help with this, we may be able to get it without a scan tool and fault code but thats always the better route of course, let me know, Lou P.

This is my wifes car and she is gone until this evening. I believe that the warning is white and comes on immediately.

ok, gotcha, we need to know if the compressor comes on when the car is started.

just after start

ok, then its possible that the pressure sensor wiring on the side of the compressor is an issue. if the level of the car is ok and the compressor does come on that is most likely an issue, can you verify if the car level does rise and fall with the adjustment switch?

it does. Its a little noisy but I suspect that is another issue.

OK THAT IS GOOD, noise is not good, if it sounds like a nice low hum that is good, if it sounds like marbles in a tin can that is bad.

A bit louder than a hum but it doesn't sound defective. I believe that it is an Arnot,OEM. It may need softer bushing

ok, so i see you own a shop and scanners , do you have any snap on or matco or autel?

also was the white warning on before the repair?

I have a Modis and an Autel. The warning light was on before the repair.

ok, so the level sensors will not be a problem since the car raised, the issue will be limted to either the pressure build up or the pressure sensor or the pressure sensor wiring, i would think the autel will access the airmatic module, lets see if we can get some codes.

I will have my lead tech hook up the scanner tomorrow. Wife has the car today. Will you be available tomorrow and what time zone are you in?

central time zone. i will get emails when you reply even if im not online , im on almost every day all day, weekends are hard for me but i do try to respond as well as i know thats when most customers have time to work on cars.

Thanks Lou, I will be in touch with you tomorrow
Ok have a good day sir !
Lou, please don't close this case yet. I can't get the car to my shop until early next week. I will get back to you then when my tech can hook up the Autel and continue with the solution. Have a good weekend.
Noah

noah we do not close chats my friend, its open as long as you have an account. so no worries.,

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician