Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 e320 4matic 110,000 miles battery went dead recharge it…

Customer Question
1999 e320 4matic 110,000 miles...
1999 e320 4matic 110,000 miles battery went dead recharge it outside the car reinstalled the battery key turns I hear a single click from the engine compartment but the engine does not crank battery cables are clean and has good capacity is there something I need to reset? ZED
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
7/30/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 8 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Hello Zed. this sounds like a few things. of course take my info with a grain of salt as i give you answers and ideas based on the info at hand . seeing as we are over the internet this can take a little bit or a few back and forths.

so let me ask you, if you turn the headlights and radio on and ac blower, and go to crank the car does it seem like the whole car loses power? we had issues with the negative cable on this model. even though the battery may be charged it can still be weak so when it needs to apply power it actually has no oomph to power the car or crank the engine. do you have a meter to check the battery voltage both when key on and cranking?

The car only clicks once, sounds like a relay energizing but engine does not crank l do have a meter

ok, lets check the battery voltage when cranking see how low it gets, if anything, im sure you know the battery is under the back seat?

I am not near the car at the moment.

ok, when will you be able to try this so i can be online as well?

ok i have to step away for a bit, when you reply i will get an email so just give me time to see it and reply. thanks, ***** *****

Battery v shows 12v crank postion 11v
Okay ran jumper cable from eng post directly to engine block still just one click no engine crank volts about 11.2
From. Battery negative to block

ok, then that takes out the battery and negative cable.

you need to see if the starter is what is clacking and check for voltage at the purple wire of the starter when cranking, see if its getting power and kicking out, then we need to see if the engine can rotate. either the starter just went out or the engine can be locked up, thats a little bit extreme but a possibility.

also possible that the power wire on the starter is loose or corroded. but we need to determine if the click noise is in fact the starter trying to kick out or not.

Is there a starter relay besides the one on the starter. The click sounds more like a small relay verses a starter solenoid. Getting the car up in the air is going to take some doing.may not get to it till tomorrow.
Where is the stater?
The starter is on the passenger side of the engine block under the exhaust manifold just behind the motor mount to transmission bell housing area
Looking from underneath there is a driveshafts for the front wheel drive can not see the starter. I think I will replace the starter relay and see what happens

Oh the starter will be between the drive shaft and the engine. The relay will have no effect . If the starter is clicking we know it's getting a signal we just need to verify the connections are good . Have you tried to turn the engine by hand ? To see if it rotates ? The crank center but will be a 27mm socket or a 17mm Allen .

No I'll try it tomorrow

ok let me know, it may be easier to switch over to a phone chat as well to get you fixed up faster. either is fine for me but this can take some time. Lou

The engine turns over easily by hand. Think I will try a new relay before removing the driveshaft.

You dont have to remove the driveshaft. we dont need to pull the starter out, give me a moment.

the relay is internal to the passenger side engine bay fuse box, all i am after is making sure that the click we are hearing is the starter trying to kick out, on the fuse box there is a connector with a purple wire , the purple wire is what goes to the starter, you need to verify that there is voltage when the car goes to crank, that will tell us if its possibly the starter .

Ok passengers side under the seat or hood
Hood, inside of the big plastic box with air conditioning stickers on it
No voltage on the purple wire

ok, so if we are not getting voltage on the purple wire then the ignition may not be wanting to crank the starter. the engine control module is what allows the relay to activate. there is another connector we can check for power and ground at. make sure the engine module is giving the relay power and ground.

there is a connector that has only 2 wires in it, a red wire with a blue stripe and a red wire with blue and white circles. the red and blue wire will have positive with the key on and the other will get ground when cranking, lets make sure we are getting that.

Found where mice have chewed through the wire harness under the computers might be a problem checking it out tomorrow

sweet, hey zed we made some progress at least my man.

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician