Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Bought the car used in 2013 with 102,000 miles on it.

Customer Question
Bought the car used...

Bought the car used in 2013 with 102,000 miles on it. Excellent condition, one owner, only dealer serviced (I have all records). About 6 months ago, I noticed an intermittent “shutter” or shake that happens only when the car is at a stop light with the brake depressed. The car will shutter as if it is misfiring. However, the shake will happen for a few seconds then go away. Happens when the car is cold or hot. No check light comes on. I will feel the shake at two or three lights and then I won’t feel it again for the next 30 minutes. Sometimes it happens after driving a few miles. At other times, I won’t feel it until after 30 minutes of driving. I normally have my car serviced at an independent mechanic that specializes in Mercedes. Two different independent mechanics shops have felt the shake and keep the cars for days and they are baffled (they quickly ruled out motor mounds – all in good condition). Both thought it might be bad gas so I have been using only Chevron Supreme for the last 4 months – problem still there. They suggested I just wait until a check engine light comes on but the shake gives me a ton of anxiety that the car is going to die but never does. Any thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

What light?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '13 Mercedes?

Sorry - it is a 2006 E350 that I bought in 2013.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No - only my mechanics have serviced it. Both of them kept the car for days and can't pinpoint the issue. Very intermittent.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I can think of.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 2 days by:
8/1/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

There were some issues in some cases the transmission torque converter can act up and can cause this issue.It may stay partially engaged when slowing or at a stop when it shouldnt be and causes a shudder type feel.The feel may last several minutes or just a short time and can be intermittent.If they did not check to see if this is the cause this needs done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Pete, Thanks for the response. Recall I said it only happens when stopped, in drive, and foot on the brake. Can a torque convertor shutter when the car is not moving?

Yes it can shudder at a stop like this here if it is partially engaged or hanging up and isnt releasing fully.This was a common issue with the transmission torque converter and causes this fault here.If they did not check into this as the cause this needs done to see if this is the fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete