Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

We cant open the boot and cant put roof down as luggage

Customer Question
We cant open the...

We cant open the boot and cant put roof down as luggage cover not across

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

230 slk 1999

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Unlocking the boot, suspect rod between lock and mechanism is broken/unhinged.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there any way to access the boot area from the passenger compartment ?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercedes
7/29/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the lock cylinder is not turning properly with the metal key blade try spraying some lubricant into the cylinder and try working the key in the cylinder as this sometimes free's it up.If this is o.k. and the cylinder is turning properly then most likely the latch is jammed or the linkage has become disconnected or broken.

Unfortunately on this model the interior back paneling behind the drivers seat area will not allow access into the trunk.What we have had to do unfortunately is either have a lock smith come out with their tools to try and unlock the trunk and open it or the lock cylinder itself had to be drilled out to then use a long rod to open the latch then the lock cylinder and any component in the latch area damaged replaced.I have had to do this a few times and have seen lock smiths have to do this as well unfortunately.

Here is a diagram of the lock and latch layout.I apologize as this was the best picture I can locate on this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjto19lq2rfd6qt/l-07-29.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

there is no way in without a lock smith?

Just to be sure have you tried the metal key blade to open the boot?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic