Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Have a misfire on cylinder 5 of a 1999 e320 4-matic. I have

Customer Question
Have a misfire on cylinder...
Have a misfire on cylinder 5 of a 1999 e320 4-matic. I have changed injector, spark plugs, switched the coils and spark plug wires from another cylinder. Still misfire on Cylinder 5.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mercedes
7/29/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Has anyone checked to see if the injector and the plug are both actually firing for that cylinder? If not, then there could be a connection/wiring issue. Also, you should remove the plug, and make sure that it is properly gapped and that the gap not closed. Also, if you are getting fire and fuel to the cylinder for sure, then you will need to have a compression test or a leak down test to confirm the integrity of the cylinder. If the cylinder does not hold compression, then you will have a misfire on that cylinder. If this is the case, then this issue will have to be corrected. Here, I am providing the general description, testing strategies and information for issue with the motor. This information will help you in determining the issue.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician