MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

I have trouble with batteries dying after about 6 mos. The

Customer Question

I have trouble with batteries dying after about 6 mos. The dealer says I am not driving enough to keep them charged. I have used both triple A and Mercedes batteries with not difference.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Today my AAA tow person said I should use the AMG type Mercedes battery which are less subject to drain with infrequent driving. I drive two to three days per week. I last drove my car on Sunday about 50mi and when I tried to start it Thursday the battery was dead. Any suggestions?
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 1998 E320 has only 66K miles on it.
JA: Are you fixing your E320 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had it at the dealers and they can't find a leak or drain problem. They suggest putting in a "drip" supplemental current supply when the car is not in use. Cumbersome and expensive. I am now at a private foreign car garage and they don't have any answers. Present Mercedes battery failed after 6 mos again. They are just recharging it. Last 6-mo old battery was too dead to recharge
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just opinion about the "drip" apparatus and opinion about trying an AMG battery if that is better than the Mercedes battery I have now.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

So I have a ton of questions, first one being did they perform a draw test sometimes called a parasitic draw or amp test