Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

First the rear brakes failed 0 ABS Brake light and chgeck

Customer Question

First the rear brakes failed 0 ABS Brake light and chgeck engine light come on - I pay 521 for new rear brakes - then front brakes two weeks later - all the lights including check engine - 5542 - car is detailed but bad job so I took the car back - yesterday when tech was driving my car at dealer he says ABS light came on and then went off, He reports I need a new sensor - !,100 for all four sensors because they recommend that all for be changed at the same time. This smells rotten to me what do you say as sensors were changed with brake change??
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Teck said it stayed on and then went off
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2011 R350 - I love this car but Fields/Brumos has a habit of making cars sorta die
JA: Are you fixing your R350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: MBZ Deal where I bought the car - I am handicapped Vet and so far they have taken good carew of me but the growing bills are killing me
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Dealer
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This doesnt sound right to me.The ABS light wont come on for brake pad sensor failure but it can come on for other sensors at fault like wheel speed sensors.And if they found one wheel speed sensor faulty all that is needed is that one sensor not all 4.If they are telling you that the brake pad wear sensors need replaced ( all 4 ) this should have already been done as part of the brakes being replaced.

It sounds like they may have missed this issue on the first repair or misdiagnosed the fault.

The only thing you can do here is see if another experienced MB shop or dealer will look into this to see what they find at fault and have them repair it.Replacing 4 sensors isnt a common thing to do unless all 4 need replaced but if only one was found to be an issue then it should only be that one needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete