Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I purchased a used car with coolant leaks. NowI have coolant…

I purchased a used car...
I purchased a used car with coolant leaks. NowI have coolant mixed in oil and exhaust gas in coolant system. I assume at the last I have a blown head gasket or two. Is there a way I can check if it is a cracked block before starting work assuming it's head gasket(s). 2001 C240
7/27/2017
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician
Hello I'm Wolfgang. I do need a vin # to get the factory info to assist
I'm getting it now
Ok
WDBRF61J51F025182
Is it coolant in the oil or oil in the cooling system?
Definitely coolant in the oil. No oil in the coolant. BUT the coolant system gets very pressurized even though the car won't start.
The engine needs to be disassembled to check for cracks. My advice is to get a used motor. If coolant in oil bearings could be wiped out. I wonder how bad it overheated?
I was afraid you were going to say that, visual inspection. Could filling the coolant overflow tank full cause the head gasket to blow?

no it would not. usually its a deterioration of the gasket from coolant not being changed , 2 different types of coolant being mixed, overheat condition that warped the heads and block causing an seal integrity issue!!.

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Thank you I will be happy to give you a five star rating.
I have one more follow up question.
Could doing an oil change with standard oil instead of the recommended synthetic cause this problem? The car was not driven with the standard oil.

either oil would not cause this issue at all!!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician
Ok thank you for your help.

my pleasure!!