Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

Pretty sure I need to replace valve seals on '86 560 SL, Is

Customer Question

Pretty sure I need to replace valve seals on '86 560 SL, Is this a hugely expensive fix?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I understand your concern with pricing and I can help you with that. Here I am supplying the parts and labor pricing information for the replacement of the valve seals on this vehicle. The labor pricing is listed in hours and the actual labor price will depend on the hourly rate of the shop that you go to. For 8.3 hours at $100/hour will give you a price of $830 plus parts.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Todd. While they're in there, what else should be done to leverage the labor involved in opening up the engine ? The car puffs a burst of white smoke periodically on accelerating from a stop. Its not so much that the cars behind me would be driving through a cloud, but enough that I can see the brief haze in my rearview mirror. It is not burning oil, but does leak a bit from the pan.
Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. Well, while they are in there, I sure they will be checking for damages like connectors, hoses, etc. Also, if you are blowing white smoke, you need to have them check the integrity of the head gaskets. This white smoke is a sign of a blown head gasket, and you should have that inspected. As far as the oil leak, you will likely end up replacing the oil pan gasket. Here I am providing labor and pricing information for both jobs. These repairs may prove to be a little pricey.

Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.