Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Recently changed the battery, then it would crank and not…

Customer Question
Recently changed the battery...

Recently changed the battery, then it would crank and not start. Had a similar problem before and it was the overvoltage protection relay. Changed that and it started first try. Once. Now it is cranking again with no start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Yes, about 4 years ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

1987 560SL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 560SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just those two things. At $40 a pop I am leary of putting another relay in.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mercedes
7/26/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 9 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

have you rechecked the fuse at the over voltage protection relay?

since you replaced it and it started either the fuse blew or the connections are corroded and you got intermittent contact.

check the fuse and the terminals of the connection and see if there is corrosion, let me know and I will do what i can to help you.

Lou P.

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician