Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

I have a 2003 C320 4matic that when the wiper in in the off

Customer Question

I have a 2003 C320 4matic that when the wiper in in the off position it turns on the wipers. When in the second position the wipers come on once when you start the car and once when you change from D to R. Positions 3 and 4 work as expected.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: yes, the fuses good ( the 40amp one)
JA: What is the model of your '03 Mercedes?
Customer: C320 4matic
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, I bought an on/off relay for the Q position but when I put that nothing works. I compared the new one and it looks identical.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I disconnected the rain sensor to use it manually and it didn't make a difference.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

from what you explain the issue is the wiper stalk, the reason the wipers make a swipe when the key is turned on is because the caris letting you know its on the rain sensing setting.

the only way to be(###) ###-#### sure is to use a mercedes scan tool and see if the steering control module is seeing that the wiper switch is in a activated position when you know physically its in the off position, but the wiper switch is the most common failure with this type of scenario , I have replaced numerous ones for this exact issue.

hope this helps.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

is there anything more you need?

I have seen that you reviewed my response, is there a question or comment you have? I am here to help.

Lou P.